Livv Housing Group has announced a reduction of annual carbon emissions of over 17%, with plans to reduce that by a further 20% in the next year.
In 2019-2020, Livv Housing Group saw its annual emissions reduced by 326 TCO2e in total (tonnes of CO2 – standard unit for measuring carbon footprints). This was achieved with the introduction of a range of new initiatives as well as an 18% reduction in annual electricity consumption and a 16% reduction in gas consumption.
Livv’s transformative initiatives included the introduction of an Environment and Sustainability Management Group, which has been tasked with driving the sustainability strategy improvement throughout the housing association.
Several low energy LED lighting replacement projects were also implemented, while a number of measures were undertaken to reduce fuel usage across Livv’s commercial fleet, including switching to lower emission vehicles and focusing on driver training and more efficient vehicle use, leading to a further 6% reduction in emissions from vehicles.
A further boost to Livv’s progress in reducing emissions has come with the switch to using electricity provided by Good Energy – which generates electricity from 100% renewable sources. This move is expected to reduce emissions by a further 586 TCO2e (tonnes of CO2) in the coming year.
Further reductions in energy consumption are expected this year with the impact of the Covid-19 lockdown, which has seen reduced use of office space and transport.
We are dedicated to achieving positive social impact and flourishing communities, which means that reducing our energy consumption and carbon emissions is a key objective for Livv. We are already well underway with our work to make further reductions this year and I’d like to thank my colleagues for their drive and initiative when it comes to finding ways to reduce our energy consumption.
In the 2019/20 reporting period (1st April – 31st March) Livv Housing Group achieved the following:
- Annual emissions were reduced by 326 TCO2e (17.3% reduction on previous year)
- Annual electricity consumption was reduced by 456,158 KWh (18% reduction on previous year)
- Annual Gas consumption was reduced by 519,568 KWh (16% reduction on previous year)
- Annual emissions from transport use were reduced by 29 TCO2e (6% reduction on the previous year)
- Leased fleet reductions of 49,221 KWh were achieved (3% reduction on previous year)
- Grey fleet reductions of 9,837 KWh were achieved (20% reduction on previous year)