Skip to main content
Sign in

Government schemes

Section separator

The Government have launched a range of schemes to help with the cost of living:

If your household is on means tested benefits (e.g. Universal Credit, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Pension Credit), you’ll receive a payment of £650 from the government.

This payment will come in two lump sums. You should’ve received the first payment back in July and the remainder will be paid in the autumn. If you’re on Tax Credits, your payment will follow shortly after to ensure that there are no duplicate payments.

Cost of living payment guidance

If you’re receiving your pension and are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment, you’ll get an extra £300 to help you cover the rising cost of energy bills this winter. This payment will come on top of the Winter Fuel Payment.

Most of you will receive the payment by direct debit and the good news is, it’s not taxable and doesn’t affect your eligibility for other benefits. The government will make these payments to you directly.

For those of you who receive disability living allowance, personal independence payment, attendance allowance, Armed Forces independent payment, constant attendance allowance or war pension mobility supplement, you should’ve received a one-off payment of £150 in September.

This extra support is exempt from tax, won’t count towards the benefit cap, and won’t have any impact on your existing benefit awards.
The government should have made these payments to you directly.

Energy suppliers across the country are supporting households with a one-off £140 discount on electricity bills between October and March.

This discount doesn’t affect Cold Weather Payments or Winter Fuel Payments.

If you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or if you’re on low income and meet your energy suppliers’ criteria, you’ll be eligible for the discount. Please contact your energy supplier to find out if you’re entitled.

Warm homes discount scheme guidance

If you’re in receipt of the State Pension or another social security benefit (not housing benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit), you’ll automatically receive a Winter Fuel Payment of between £250 and £600. Most payments are made in November/December.

If you don’t receive either of these benefits, you can make a claim by contacting the Winter Fuel Payment Centre on 0800 731 0160. 

Winter fuel payment guidance

Section separator